WITH HEIRLOOM TOMATOES
As summer comes to a close, I thought I’d share this delectable recipe for bruschetta made with heirloom tomatoes. This elegant appetizer is perfect for wine tasting or alfresco dining in the Indian summer. If you’ve never used heirloom tomatoes in your recipes, you are in for a very big treat! The heirloom tomato comes in many different colors, shapes, and sizes which make them more appealing to the eye. They also offer a certain sweetness and flavor that I have found other tomatoes don’t quite possess.
As you can see below, there are many different kinds of heirloom tomatoes, I usually tend to stick the smaller rainbow varieties like Sungold, Orange Icicle, and Currant for this recipe. If you are unable to find them in a smaller size, you can always use a few larger varieties in rainbow hues by dicing and combining them.
Photo Credit: Shoe Heel Factory, Journal Sentinel
Now I’m gonna let you in on a little secret, this is one of my favorite appetizers to bring to a gathering because of how quick and inexpensive it is to throw together. It takes very little time and effort if you find yourself hosting or attending last minute affairs. The best part about this recipe is that it doesn’t look thrown together and the flavor combination is a real crowd pleaser. I always get the best compliments when I serve this bruschetta at events.
SHOP THE MOMENT | CLICK ARROWS FOR MORE
- 1 FRESH BAGUETTE
- 1/4 CUP OLIVE OIL + 2 TBS
- 5-6 LEAVES OF FRESH BASIL
- 1-2 POUNDS HEIRLOOM TOMATOES
- 1/4 CUP OF SHAVED PARMESAN
- 1 GARLIC CLOVE
- SALT + PEPPER
- BALSAMIC VINEGAR REDUCTION
- PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 325 DEGREES. SLICE BAGUETTE INTO MEDALLIONS AND POUR A 1/4 CUP OF OLIVE OIL IN A SMALL BOWL. USE A RUBBER PASTRY BRUSH TO BRUSH THE TOP SIDE OF THE BAGUETTE SLICES AND PLACE ON A BAKING SHEET. WHILE OVEN PRE-HEATS SLICE TOMATOES IN HALF AND ADD TO A SMALL BOWL. JULIENNE BASIL BY PLACING THE LEAVES ON TOP OF EACH OTHER AND ROLLING THEM TOGETHER. CHOP BASIL AT A DIAGONAL. ADD REMAINING 2 TABLESPOONS OF OLIVE OIL AND A HANDFUL OF BASIL LEAVING SOME FOR LATER. ADD SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE AND ALLOW TO MARINATE IN THE FRIDGE. ONCE THE OVEN IS READY PLACE THE BREAD IN TO BAKE FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES GIVE OR TAKE. ALL OVENS VARY SO I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU KEEP AN EYE ON THEM SO THEY DO NOT BURN. TAKE OUT AND ALLOW TO COOL. PEEL AND SLICE THE END OFF OF A CLOVE OF GARLIC. RUB THE RAW GARLIC OVER THE TOPS OF THE BAGUETTE SLICES (DO THIS SPARINGLY, A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY). ADD TOMATO MIXTURE AND SPRINKLE WITH PARMESAN AND REMAINING BASIL. LIGHTLY DRIZZLE WITH BALSAMIC VINEGAR REDUCTION.
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe, and as always thanks again for reading! I’d love to hear from you, please feel free to comment and let me know if you tried it!
Cheers- Ashley Nicole