This post may contain affiliate links. I only recommend products that I love. All opinions are 100% my own.
CELEBRATING MEMORIAL DAY WITH A GAME-CHANGING BURGER RECIPE
Memorial Day is right around the corner and I can almost smell the neighborhood grills firing up to celebrate the long weekend! This weekend is the perfect opportunity to kick up your hosting skills a notch and serve your guests something more than just your average burger. In this recipe, I’ve put a twist on the old classic and added pickled red onions with a garlic aioli sauce creating a flavor combination that is a complete game-changer in my book.
SHOP THE MOMENT | CLICK ARROWS FOR MORE
I know what you may be thinking, pickled red onions? That’s in way over my head or I don’t have time for all that but I can honestly tell you that this recipe is super easy and simple to make. The pickled red onions take about 5 minutes to throw together and you can do this several days ahead or the night before. This method is called quick pickling and it’s way less intimidating than the real deal.
Next up is the garlic aioli sauce. This is another super easy way to dress up any burger or sandwich. An aioli sauce traditionally consists of a mayo base, however, you can substitute it for Greek yogurt if you prefer. Here is a major tip, if you decide to go the mayo route, use REAL mayo! I can’t stress this enough! Without real mayo, your aioli will be a flop. I personally like to use Hellman’s Mayonnaise but there are several other brands out there that you can use as well. All it takes is some garlic, lemon and a little salt and pepper added to your base. That’s it! And the thing I love about this recipe is that you can change it up by adding other elements like fresh herbs or make it spicy with wasabi or Sriracha. There are tons of recipes out there to try.
With these two delicious toppers accompanying your burger, you’ll have a crowd pleaser assembled in no time! Check out the complete recipe below to get your Memorial Day weekend started off right!
- 1 RED ONION, THINLY SLICED
- 1 CUP APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- 1 CUP HOT WATER
- 1 1/2 TBSP SUGAR
- 2 TSP SALT
- A PINCH OF BLACK PEPPERCORNS
- 1 CLOVE GARLIC, PRESSED
- 1 CUP REAL MAYONNAISE
- 1 TSP LEMON JUICE
- SALT + PEPPER
- ORGANIC BEEF PATTIES
- PROVOLONE CHEESE
- FRESHLY MADE BREAD BUNS
- PICKLED RED ONION: IN A SMALL BOWL COMBINE SUGAR, SALT, HOT WATER, AND APPL CIDER VINEGAR. ALLOW SUGAR AND SALT TO DISSOLVE INTO THE MIXTURE. PACK RED ONION INTO A LARGE MASON JAR BY PRESSING IT DOWN WITH A SPOON. ADD VINEGAR MIXTURE AND PEPPERCORNS. MAKE SURE THAT ONION IS COVERED IN LIQUID FOR PICKLING PROCESS. SEAL AND REFRIGERATE OVER NIGHT.
- GARLIC AIOLI: MIX ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND ADD SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE.
- THE BURGER: SPREAD AIOLI ON BOTH TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE BUN. ADD THE BEEF PATTIE AND MAKE SURE THAT THE PROVOLONE (I PREFER TO MELT MINE ON THE PATTIE JUST BEFORE TAKING IT OFF THE GRILL). TOP WITH ARUGULA AND PICKLED RED ONION AND THE OTHER HALF OF THE BUN.
- THE PICKLED RED ONION SHOULD LAST UP TO A WEEK.
- BONUS, THE AIOLI MAY ALSO BE SERVED AS A DIPPING SAUCE FOR FRIES
Cheers- Ashley Nicole