WITH BLOOD ORANGES AND SEA SALT
In late winter, citrus trees are filled with gorgeous fruits ripened for the picking. One of my favorite flavor combinations is dark chocolate and orange slices. This time I decided to make a play on those flavors and kick things up a notch with this rustic dark chocolate tart by dipping blood orange slices in chocolate and adding them to the top with a little sea salt.
I have been wanting to make something with blood oranges for quite some time because I love the taste and well they are just so pretty I couldn’t resist. Blood oranges are a little harder to find in my area, unlike other types of citrus that you can find here year round. I basically had to wait until they became available at my nearby grocery store so as soon as I saw them, naturally I snatched them up with a huge grin on my face!
This was my first time making a chocolate tart and I was a little uneasy about whether or not it would turn out. Luckily it did and now I can share my recipe with all of you!
This chocolate tart was incredibly quick and easy to make, I would definitely recommend making one of these for your next gathering because they look like you put way more effort into them than what really goes down! Check out the recipe for this simple dessert and don’t worry if you don’t have any blood oranges available, you can always substitute them with navel oranges or tangerines.
SHOP THE MOMENT | CLICK ARROWS FOR MORE
- ONE SLEEVE OF GRAHAM CRACKERS
- 6 TBS. UNSALTED BUTTER MELTED
- 1/4 ORGANIC RAW GRANULATED SUGAR
- 12 OZ. DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- 1 CUP HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
- 4 TBS. UNSALTED BUTTER AT ROOM TEMP.
- SEA SALT
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES. COMBINE SUGAR, 6 TBS. MELTED BUTTER, AND GRAHAM CRACKER INTO A MEDIUM BOWL UNTIL CRUMBLY. TAKE MIXTURE AND FIRMLY PRESS INTO A TART PAN TO FORM THE CRUST. BAKE FOR 7-8 MINUTES OR UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN. ALLOW CRUST TO COOL AT ROOM TEMP. BREAK UP 4 TBS. BUTTER UP INTO PIECES AND ADD TO CHOCOLATE CHIPS. IN A SMALL SAUCEPAN ADD CREAM AND BRING TO A LIGHT SIMMER. *YOU DO NOT WANT THE CREAM TO BOIL AS THIS WILL CAUSE IT TO CURDLE. ONCE CREAM HAS COME TO A SIMMER POUR OVER THE CHOCOLATE AND BUTTER MIXTURE AND COVER. LET MIXTURE STAND FOR 3-4 MINUTES. STIR AND COMBINE CHOCOLATE MIXTURE UNTIL SMOOTH. POUR CHOCOLATE MIXTURE INTO THE TART PAN. TAKE BLOOD ORANGE SLICES AND DIP WITH LEFTOVER CHOCOLATE. ADD ORANGE SLICES TO THE TART AND LIGHTLY SPRINKLE WITH SEA SALT. PLACE TART IN FRIDGE FOR 1-2 HOURS AND ALLOW CHOCOLATE TO SET.
Do you have a favorite fruit and chocolate combination? Please feel free to add it to the comments, we love hearing from you!
Cheers- Ashley Nicole